Did you know that there are many food types harmful to our furry friends during autumn?
What harm will the odd treat or tip-bit do to our animals you may ask? Aside from encouraging begging and weight gain, we could actually be putting our pet’s health at risk. We’ll guide you through the most dangerous foods to our animals at this time of the year. If you believe that your pet may have eaten an unsafe food, contact your veterinarian immediately.
This time of the year hosts Hair-raising Halloween and we must keep our four-legged friends away from the sweet treats that are ever so tempting. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in gum, sweets, toothpaste and mouthwash, creating danger for our dogs as it releases insulin in the body leading to serious problems along the line.
Although appetizing for us, chocolate, coffee and caffeine are toxic to dogs in large quantities, with milk chocolate being the most damaging. With dogs of all different sizes, we must never consider any amount of chocolate safe for a dog to eat. Macadamia nuts are found in sweets and chocolate, and can create signs of depression, vomiting, joint pain and pale gums in dogs.
This time of the year witnesses festive baking of cookies and cakes, but don’t allow your dog or cat to get hold of one! The yeast used in baking causes severe discomfort and sometimes more tragic outcomes. ‘Pupcakes’ are available from pet stores as a substitute treat.
Fruit and Vegetables
Another to avoid is grapes and raisins. They can prove toxic to our cats and dogs, causing vomiting, diarrhea, and tiredness as well as other serious issues. In addition to keeping grapes and raisins from your pet, you also need to keep away products containing them, such as hot cross buns, fruit salads, cereals, granola bars, and raisin cookies.
Fresh fruits like apples, pears, oranges and bananas are safe but steer clear of fruits with pits such as peaches and plums as they can cause injury to our pets. Avocados can also be dangerous for our pets including dogs, cats, horses, birds and rodents, causing breathing difficulties, as well as other severe illnesses. Just a small amount can cause substantial vomiting and diarrhea in dogs and cats, so let’s keep the avocados out of reach.
Garlic, onions and mushrooms, cooked or raw, can cause damage to our cats and dogs, creating long term concerns.
Plants and Flowers
As well as food, we must also keep our animals away from the plants that surround our gardens and parks. Although festive and beautiful at this time of the year, plants such as ivy, daffodils, bluebells, and many others are toxic to our animals. Conker and acorn consumption by our companions can cause intense vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and internal blockages.
To prevent your animals accessing harmful items, ensure that all food is kept in closed cabinets and stay cautious and prepared at all times. Please keep to the recommended food for your animal provided by your vet or local pet shop to maintain maximum health and happiness of your pet.