The Budget Vet's Prescription Protocol
- Veterinary Surgeons can prescribe Prescription only Medication – Veterinary (POM-V) medications providing the patients are under their care and have received a clinical assessment.
- The Surgeon must be satisfied that the owner will use the product safely and intends to use if for the purpose for which it is authorized.
- Advice should be given on the safe administration. Any warning or contra indications on the label or package leaflet should be explained.
- The Surgeon must not prescribe more than the minimum amount required for the treatment.
- Patients on repeat medication must have a checkup examination every 3 months.
- Prescriptions must be ordered 24 hours before collection from the surgery and cannot be posted.